Sponsorship will provide funding to support leadership development opportunities for our FIU students. The donations will be used to bring engaging keynote speakers to campus as well as participation in essential leadership programs such as: Academy of Leaders, Alternative Breaks, Panther Camp, Sisterhood Retreat, and the Women Who Lead Conference. Your sponsorship will enhance the overall development of our students.
Why is it important to develop the leadership capacity of every FIU student?
Current research and practice in the field of leadership supports the notion that leadership is evolving and approaches focusing on flexibility, collaboration, crossing boundaries and collective leadership are expected to become a high priority. This emerging view of leadership as an inclusive and collective networked activity occurring throughout organizations and across sectors stresses the need for all college students to develop their leadership capacity as they prepare for their future careers and community roles.
Academy of Leaders – The Academy of Leaders (AOL) is a structured semester-long leadership development certificate program for students. The AOL teaches leadership competencies through educational seminars, experiential exercises, and practical application. Students engage in interactive learning activities that include self-assessment, reflection, group problem solving, feedback, and goal setting. Participants put their learning into action by completing a service project in the local community. At the completion of AOL students should be able to:
- Articulate a personal vision based on values, goals, and purpose
- Describe personal strengths and weaknesses in relation to leadership
- Understand basic group dynamics
- Reflect on a personal responsibility to lead with integrity
- Be aware of the role they play in affecting change in the university and local communities
Alternative Breaks – Alternative Breaks (aB) educates students about social issues and encourages them to make a difference by participating in direct service projects in communities throughout the country and abroad. Students take leadership roles in researching, developing, and implementing each service site which take place during academic breaks. aB develops active global citizen leaders by connecting students’ passions with the world’s greatest needs.
Panther Camp – Panther Camp is a three day leadership, involvement and traditions retreat that focuses on assisting new students in building relationships with other FIU students, fostering school spirit, cultivating future student leaders and helping students learn about the traditions and unique culture of FIU. The mission of Panther Camp is to provide incoming FIU students with the opportunity to transition to the University in an exciting and engaging manner. Camp attendees are proven to be more involved at FIU, and have a greater chance of being retained at the University!
Sisterhood Retreat – A weekend aimed toward the self-empowerment of women. Students will experience a variety of activities and workshops including topics such as leadership development, career planning, health & wellness, body image, and plenty of laughter and fun with their peers.
Student Leadership Summit-The FIU Student Leadership Summit is an annual one-day conference featuring sessions that focus on developing leadership competencies, such as critical thinking, ethical reasoning, communication, diversity awareness, interpersonal skills, civic engagement, and fiscal responsibility. The Summit features workshop sessions and a keynote speaker. It provides students the opportunity to learn from the vast expertise of our faculty, administrators, employers, and alumni; to share their leadership experiences with each other; and to establish a network of support within the university and community.
Women Who Lead – An annual, daylong conference designed to enhance the personal, professional and academic leadership development of female students at FIU. To accomplish this the conference has four goals:
- To enhance students’ understanding and awareness about the scope of women in leadership in our society today
- To provide our students with an opportunity to interact with and learn from women leaders in their chosen field of interest
- To develop a greater understanding of the diversity of careers available in their chosen field of interest
- To assist our female students in developing their personal leadership plan
How to Give
- Recurring Biweekly Payroll Deductions – Your Gift Amount will be deducted continuously. (i.e., $1.92 = $1.92 per pay period until you request a change)
- One Payment Payroll Deduction – Your Gift Amount will be deducted from one pay check only. (i.e., $100 = $ 100 from one pay period)
- Pay Directly with Credit Card
- Download Pledge Form